Thursday, October 2, 2008

Reading....


















I have been reading for about 5 hours now between yesterday and today and I am just now finishing for this week.....this reading is really interesting, but it is quite different then reading a novel. This reading really requires significant attention and about every 4 to 5 pages, I have to stop and really think about what the books are trying to tell me. It makes my brain hurt, but I guess I will get used to it.
The book on the left is where we are getting alot of our New Testament information from. The author takes you VERY deep and is somewhat hard to follow. Lots of new terms that I have never heard before so I have to stop every once in awhile and take out my Pocket Dictionary on biblical terms and figure out what the heck he is saying.
The book on the right is a theological dictionary and my professor gives us about 10 terms per week to look up. I thought that was pretty easy until I found that each term is about 5 pages long in definition! Take "Pentacost" for example. Sure it gives you the definition of Pentacost, but it also goes over narrative linkage, narrative shaping, characterization of spirit, intertextuality, historical issues, place, time miracle of language, Peter's speech, theological significance of Pentacost, Pentacost and Christ, Pentecost and the People of God, and finally Pentacost and mission! wow.
I learned the great benefits of Starbucks today. Now I see why you always see people studying in there. It just gets too boring at home...so today, I packed up my books and headed to Starbucks where I spent a couple of hours reading. For whatever reason, the white noise you find in Starbucks along with a cup of coffee makes it easier to read and retain the information. But the problem is that in my little town, I cant go 10 minutes without having somebody come in that I know and wants to know what I am up to....lol
I also ran into my first series of "study questions" today. Here is an example:
"Why is the re-telling of Moses story in Acts 7:17-44 iimportant for grasping the structure of Luke-Acts as a whole and what does it mean to say "Acts is the first and most important interpretation of Luke's gospel?"
Wow.
Got to run. I have my first day of my other class tonight and I have to get ready to go to that....
I will let you all know how that class goes.

1 comment:

PJ's momma said...

Honey. If the definition for Pentecost was that long, you should know it is spelled with an "e" and not an "a". HA! Sorry, you know I proofread everything, even your blog! 2 hours at Starbucks? Yikes! I can see that Starbucks is going to become the other woman. Sigh. And sob. Just kidding. I'm proud of you (and have NO plans to audit!).